What is it about?

Posterior fossa tumors constitute an important pathology in pediatric age group. Most patients have hydrocephalus on presentation.However this hydrocephalus resolves in 70% of the cases after tumor resection. On the other hand 30% of the patients do require a permanent CSF diversion even after surgery. In order to predict who will require a permanent CSF diversion we need a comprehensive scoring system.In an attempt to address this issue,the modified Canadian predictive score was designed. However, its accuracy was questioned recently. After some research, we identified a few factors that should be added in the scoring system in order to improve its accuracy.

Featured Image

Why is it important?

Posterior fossa tumors constitute an important pathology in pediatric age group. Most patients have hydrocephalus on presentation.However this hydrocephalus resolves in 70% of the cases after tumor resection. On the other hand 30% of the patients do require a permanent CSF diversion even after surgery. In order to predict who will require a permanent CSF diversion we need a comprehensive scoring system

Read the Original

This page is a summary of: Letter to the Editor. Canadian Preoperative Prediction Rule for Hydrocephalus: suggestions to improve validity, Journal of Neurosurgery Pediatrics, September 2021, Journal of Neurosurgery Publishing Group (JNSPG), DOI: 10.3171/2021.6.peds21290.
You can read the full text:

Read

Contributors

The following have contributed to this page