What is it about?

The present study is an attempt to understand the land potentiality of Afghanistan to scale agroforestry restoration planning in the country. The potential agroforestry suitable areas were achieved through the Geographical Information System modeling approach.

Featured Image

Why is it important?

The study found that 13.2% of the geographical area of the country was under agriculture. Approximately, one-fourth of the total geographical area of the country is useful in various diversified agroforestry formats because of the sound agroforestry suitability percent. The total agriculture landscape (1% to 50%) grid was identified as equivalent to 32 million hectares (49% of total geographical area). About 53% of these lands were found medium to very high suitable for agroforestry purposes and the remaining 47% of the agriculture landscape showed low agroforestry suitable percent. The full-scale implementation of an agroforestry restoration blueprint needs adequate funds and appropriate planning at the country level that will serve many of the SDG goals for socioeconomic-stressed Afghan people which will provide them food and nutrient security, livelihood, and eliminate poverty, enhance biodiversity, and mitigate the impact of climate change.

Read the Original

This page is a summary of: Satellite-Based GIS Evaluation of Land to Scale Agroforestry Restoration Planning in Afghanistan, Biophysical Economics and Sustainability, August 2022, Springer Science + Business Media,
DOI: 10.1007/s41247-022-00104-2.
You can read the full text:



The following have contributed to this page